Begin on your path to sustainability by articulating the principal goal—or goals—that your organization has for EBP sustainability. For example, is your goal to:
- Sustain an EBP with fidelity to the original model?
- Sustain an EBP with fidelity to the original model but with some adjustments and modifications?
- Sustain an EBP even if you must change it dramatically from the original model?
- Integrate sustainability thinking and evidence-based decision-making into your organization?
- Perform some combination of the above?
Stating your goal or goals will allow you and your team to arrive at greater consensus about what it is you want to achieve and how you might best achieve it.
For each step, multiple factors will shape the challenges you will face. It will be up to you to decide how to achieve program sustainability, in the face of those challenges.